Pages

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Author Interview! DJ Shaw



What five words best describe you?
Outgoing, overachiever, perfectionist, good-hearted, and considerate.

How do you decide on character names in your books?
Depends on the piece really. Some characters come to me with their names already in place, others I go to fakenamegenerator.org for the names.


Do you laugh at your own jokes as you write them?
Yes, I do, and my husband looks at me like I have lost my mind. LOL

Do you write full time or do you keep a day job?
I have a day job, though I am hoping that sometime in the near future, I can write full time.

When did you decide to make a career of writing?
I've always wanted to make writing a career. It's something I enjoy doing and I've been doing it for as long as I can remember.

How long does it take you to write a book?
It took me eight and a half, almost nine, years to write Wiccan Lies. My short stories, on the other hand, only take about two weeks if I'm given the time to sit down and write. I'm hoping the second book i the MacKenzie Spayde Chronicles won't take me as long as the first one did to write. LOL

What do you do when you are not writing?
I like to read, sing, dance, and spend time with my hubby and our five mobsters.

Is anything in your books based on real life experiences or is it all imagination?
The Wicca reliition is based on real life. I did extensive research, am still doing extensive research, into the religion because I want that part of the series to be right on point. Otherwise, everything else is imagination.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received from another author?
Write. Don't edit the piece as you write it. There is always time after the first draft is on paper to edit.

Do you hae a new project in the works?
I always have something in the works. LOL right now, I'm working on a couple of series other than the MacKenzie Spayde Chronicles and a few novellas. I'm also working on sequels to the short stories.

In ten words or less...

What is your biggest fear?
That I won't get all of the stories in my head written down before I die.

Do you have a favorite TV show?
A few, actually. Two are The Originals and The Vampire Diaries.

What is the happiest moment in your life, to date?
When my mobsters were born. ;-)

If you could be a superhero, what would you want your superpowers to be?
I would want my superpower to be telekinesis.

If you could meet anybody in history--past or present--who would it be?
I wouldn't mind meeting Anne Boleyn

How would your friends describe you in three words?
Talented, easy-going, and adaptable.

Do you have a quirk that annoys your spouse or friends?
I'm not sure this can be considered a quirk or not, but my husband has told me that my inability to stand up for myself when it matters most annoys the heck out of him.

What is the one thing that you can't live without?
Books.

Who is the most famous person you have ever met?
Oh, I've met a lot, and within the last few years. But, if I had to name just one, then I would name my favorite actor from Star Trek: The Next Generation, Brent Spiner.

What is your worst job ever?
To be honest, anything to do with fast food has been the worst experience I have ever had with jobs. LOL
    
 
DJ Shaw belongs to the part of the Unseelie Sidhe that lives in Albuquerque, NM with her husband, The Vengeance Demon, Terminal, the beast who stole her heart, and together they have spawned five children. They also own an Ocelot and four Hell Hounds. She loves to write about the experiences of her Dark Brethren, and some of her own.

No comments:

Post a Comment